Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sambar Recipe

Hotel Sambar

Here is an easy and tasty sambar recipe, I Learnt this recipe from my sister. I happen to taste this sambar, when I visited my sister (Srimathi) in chennai a year back. She made Pongal and this sambhar as side dish. I was totally in love with that sambar, and got the recipe from her, then tried it with idly. My hubby liked it so much to the extent naming this sambar as Srimathi Sambhar :-) So whenever I make dosa or idly, he says prepare srimathi sambar as side dish. So here is a recipe of Ghee sambar.....




Ingredients : Serves 2 Persons.

Toor Dal / Yellow Pigeon Pea - 1/4 Cup
Tomato - 2 No's
Onion - 1 No (Big Size)
Green chili - 1 No
Sambar Powder - 1 Teaspoon ( Increase if your sambar powder is less spicy)
Grated Jaggery - 1 Table Spoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon

To Grind :

Channa dal (Bengal Gram dal) - 1 & 1/2  Teaspoon
Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds - 1 Table Spoon
Dry Chilies - 1 No. (Big)

Tempering :

Ghee / Clarified Butter - 2 Table Spoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
Small onion - 5 no.s 
Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig. 

Method :

Soak Toor dal / Yellow pigeon pea for about 1 hour. Chop tomatoes and onions finely. 
Pressure cook toor dal with chopped onion, tomatoes, sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt, green chili, asafoetida, water (enough to immerse dal) for 4 whistles and simmer it for 5 mnts and then switch off the flame. Mean while heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and roast the ingredients given under To grind, allow it to cool and grind it to a smooth powder. Now add the ground powder, grated jaggery to the cooked dal and mix well and boil for some 10 minutes in medium flame. Heat ghee in a pan, add mustard seeds , then add small onion, curry leaves, a pinch of salt and sauté till onion becomes soft, now and pour this over the sambar. Tasty Ghee sambhar is ready :-) It is an excellent side dish for pongal, idly, dosa/ dosai. 

Notes :

Soaking the toor dal for  1 hr or more is very important.
If you want to prepare immediately, soak in hot water for 20 minutes.
Tempering in ghee gives a nice flavor to sambar, if your health conscious you can skip ghee and add oil.
Adjust the thickness of the sambar by pouring hot water to it. The Consistency should be thin.

I am dedicating this post to the wonderful cook & my lovely sister Srimathi Prakash, who gave the recipe and also gifted the lovely bucket :-)


21 comments:

  1. hi krupa.. the serving bucket is very cute.. i have been searching for it in chennai.. could you tell where you bought it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PT, My sister got those cute buckets from ratna stores chennai :-)

      Delete
  2. I live in chennai n i knw hw 2 make sambhar well ll try tis t0o

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy ....already the smell of ghee in sambar has gone inside ....and shopping idea is also tempting .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks Yummy ...Very cute buckets

    Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... really its inviting me... n wish to grab sambhar with cute bucket...
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi My first visit to your blog and you have lovely space with some interesting recipes!
    Like the colour of the ghee sambar and it looks delicious. Do drop a visit to my blog and leave your valuable comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really very tempting and inviting sambar..
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. sambhar looks yummy. I can have unlimited bowl with idlis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummyyyy sambar..

    http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the ghee sambar recipe; really delicious. pls post recipe for kara kuzhambu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sambhar looks awesome and I love the presentation...
    Too good..:)) I could almost smell the ghee inviting me to finish of the whole lot..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  12. sambar looks very gud, i am sure the taste will also be gud. i wl also try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finger licking one... love to have with potato fry....
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is by far the best Sambar Recipe I have ever come across, absolutely love it ................... kudos to you for the awesome recipe I have made it like a dozen times now and everytime , all of us sit licking our fingers, I made sambaar on Ganesh Chaturthi and I thought I had made way tooooooooo much, but to my surprise , it was all done ................ everyone was raving and raving about it. Thank you so much for such an authentic recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simple and nice. Idli recipe also looks simple. Lets try

    ReplyDelete
  16. The south Indian food drives me crazy... The sambar just makes me crazier. Hats off to the blog.. wish one day i'll try to cook one or two dishes from this blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its delicious.....Thanks a lot krupa :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, Please do leave your queries,suggestion and feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...